Thursday, August 27, 2009

lavender sachets. REALLY homemade.

I got a sewing machine for my birthday last month from my parents. I definitely have no idea how to use it. I thought I threaded it correctly, but...no. I failed. If anyone wants to tutor me, I would be so excited...

So I have been hand sewing these sachets for about 8 months now. Usually when I get bored and have an urge to craft.

I am working with wool from a sweater that was totally shot, washed several times first. I had a really old bag of lavender my father bought me in London about...8 years ago? Maybe longer, I'm getting old. But I didn't want either to go to waste, and they were headed towards the garbage since one was old and damaged....and the other was old and not of the culinary variety. But together they make nice little sachets for your drawers. Which is a good place to hide them, because they aren't pretty. Once I figure out how to use my sewing machine I am going to make cute ones for gifts.

I still plan to use materials that are re-purposed, like old clothing and blankets that no longer serve their originally intended purpose.

Take a gander:


Yes, that's my little sewing box. My parents gave these to me and my sister for Valentine's Day one year. In fact, I think it was my dad's idea...perhaps he thought we would help him mend his clothes? Well, that did not happen. I didn't open this until college when I started losing buttons, and now I use it more regularly to mend clothing...and my lopsided sachets. Gotta get the sewing machine up and running soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment