Sunday, August 30, 2009

Lollipop, lollipop!

Lollipops! Not for the faint of heart...the sugar overload in these...WOW. and my molds are HUGE.

This is a recipe I came across while looking for science experiments at Exploratorium.

What you need:

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 to 1 teaspoon flavoring
liquid food coloring

Head over to their site for instructions. I would offer my own up since I tweak it, but honestly, you are better off following theirs :)

For flavoring, I chose a lavender lemon combo. During the stage where the heat is rising to 300°F, I added the dried flowers (be sure to use culinary lavender if using this0 and also added grated lemon peel.

Once the mixture reaches 300° I turn off the heat and I VERY briefly submerge just the bottom of the pan into cool water. This will prevent the temperature from climbing about 300°. Once cooled to 275°F, I added a bit of lemon extract. Probably 1/2 tsp.

I stirred smooth and poured in my molds. After they cooled I managed to jimmy them out. This, in my opinion, is the hardest part! I also coated them in powdered sugar to prevent them from sticking to the wax paper I wrapped them in. A LOT of sugar. I recommend using MUCH smaller molds. I used cookie pop molds, they are about 3" in diameter. I recommend you make them much smaller considering the sugar content.

But they look nice, despite the lighting issues;


If anyone has a recipe for hard candies without using corn syrup I would be very interested to hear about them. I suppose it would be difficult, but I would love to try something that had less refined sugar. Or, I could just get smaller molds.

No comments:

Post a Comment